Unlocking performance on Reddit
Tips, tricks, and best practices on building an effective performance campaign strategy
As the media landscape grows increasingly fragmented, it’s never been more complicated to get your brand noticed. And as consumers become more digitally savvy and weary of disingenuous claims, they’re craving advertising that is personalized, authentic, and trustworthy.
That’s where Reddit comes in. Reddit’s people-powered platform is the antidote to digital platforms that are increasingly filtered, polished, and skewed. In fact, Reddit is #1 among all platforms for being trustworthy and honest.1 The trust that redditors have in our platform transcend to your brand, which is why redditors are 27% more likely to purchase a product they see advertised on Reddit and +46% more likely to trust brands that advertise on Reddit.2
Our performance solutions enable brands to build off the authenticity and trust within our communities and reach a high-intent audience across the entire consumer journey. With that, here’s our 4 tips to unlocking performance on Reddit.
4 tips to unlocking performance on Reddit
1. Build copy and creative for the platform
Reddit is a unique place, and redditors like to be treated as such. Responsibly using platform and community lingo and addressing redditors differently demonstrates your understanding and value of these unique consumers. They’re also super leaned-in, so be very transparent with who you are, what you’re selling, and what you’re asking them to do.
Be sure to also include CTAs within your headline copy and video assets. Posts that contain a CTA in the headline (such as “shop now”, “learn more”, “come see our new feature”) achieve 98% more installs from Ads with a CTA in the copy and 340% higher revenue from Ads with a CTA in the copy.3
2. Make the most of out of our audience targeting
There’s an expansive toolkit to leverage when it comes to reaching your audience on Reddit. Generally though, consider these tips:
- Use Run of Site (ROS) to learn what interests work best, outside of the directly correlated ones. Keep a close eye on this audience for lower funnel campaigns as it may deliver efficient CPMs/CPCs but struggle to convert.
- Always incorporate interest targeting to media strategy or supplement with community targeting to mitigate low delivery and scale.
- Turn on targeting expansion to mitigate low delivery and scale from niche narrow communities. If you’re adamant on using community targeting, use it as a supplement to interest targeting and never as your only method of targeting.
3. Maximize performance with an automated bidding strategy
The bid you set in an auction is an important factor to decide who sees your ad and how your campaigns perform on Reddit. We’ve recently launched 3 automated bidding strategies to make bidding a breeze for traffic, conversions and app install objectives.
- Maximize clicks for the traffic objective: Maximize clicks is an automated bidding strategy that adjusts bids to help get as many clicks as possible within your budget and cost per click cap. It’s available for ad groups under the traffic objective, and is recommended for advertisers who want to drive clicks to their website.
- Maximize conversions for the conversions objective: Maximize conversions aims to drive as many conversions as possible within your budget and cost per click cap. Using machine learning, Maximize conversions adjusts bids for each and every impression based on a user’s likelihood of completing a conversion event. It’s available for ad groups under the conversions objective, and is recommended for advertisers who want to drive lower funnel conversion events.
- Maximize installs for the app installs objective: Maximize installs is an automated bidding strategy that helps drive clicks and app installs within your budget and cost per click cap. To do this, Maximize installs automatically sets bids in order to get as many clicks as possible on your app install ad, where users can then install your app. It’s available for ad groups under the app installs objective, and is recommended for advertisers who want to drive clicks and app installs.
Pro tips: in order to get the most accurate conversion tracking and reporting, leverage advanced Reddit Pixel advanced matching. It’s especially handy for cross-device or cross browser conversions. The Conversions API is an alternate solution to the Reddit Pixel and allows advertisers to share web conversions directly with Reddit.
4. Iterate, iterate, iterate
Here’s a quick view on what things should be tested and broken out. As you pull levers, check back in to see how KPIs have changed over time. Ask yourself: did CTR, CVR, CPA/CPI improve? And remember, success doesn’t happen overnight — performance takes time and testing!
1Source: Reddit / Talk Shoppe, Custom qualitative & quantitative study, “Find your People”, US, n=2003, 13-54 year old, social media users, fielded in Sept-Nov 2021.
2Source: Luth Research, 2021, US. Lifts = Reddit ad viewers vs. Social Platform ad viewers. Social Platforms = Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat, TikTok
3Kantar Brand Lift Data on Reddit April 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022; CTR, CPA Reddit Internal Data April 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022; Installs and Revenue MMP Partners and Internal Reddit Data April 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022;
Lauren Hill, Manager, Performance Solutions
Emily Le, Marketing Lead, Global Customer Marketing